All Archive Items

Here you can find every item that has been uploaded on to the website. They are arranged in date order.

Pictures

  • Hand drawn map of Surbiton in 1747. There is lots of detail, of fields, flora and roads. The Thames is drawn on the left side of the map.
  • Black and white picture. A large white building with a veranda.
  • Six bricks ll with damage, and much wear and tear from the time. The inscriptions have been carved in to the bricks.
  • Line drawing of a map. This map does not give a lot of detail. Plots of land are numbered.
  • Line drawing. Each room is labelled with its use, for example a billiard room, conservatory and laundry room.
  • It is a large Victorian building, with large bay windows, tall chimneys and three floors.
  • It has the likeness of Jefferies on it carved out of wood, the plaque is framed by a nature scene - trees, rabbits, birds and squirrels.
  • Large Victorian villa with a large lawn and fir trees.
  • The two nurses and Mrs Cooper wear high waisted long skirts. The two Cooper boys are wearing dark sailor type outfits. One soldier is in a chair wearing a red cap.
  • Picture of front cover, showing a soldier with a bandage around his head and a rifle with a bayonet in his hands
  • Patients are sitting, one is in a wheelchair with an awning. Mrs Cooper is wearing a white dress and Mr Cooper is wearing a stetson. One of the cooper boys is on a rocking horse and wearing a helmet.
  • Hand written letter
  • Hand written letter
  • The Gables Souvenir Medallion (Reverse)
  • The Gables Souvenir Medallion (Obverse)
  • Patients are all in their soldier uniform, which appears Khaki coloured. Interestingly one of the nurses who also appeared in other photos always poses looking away from the camera.
  • Black and white photo. The Gables is in the background behind the trees.
  • Patients are all in a chair by their bed. One is reading a paper. There is a large fireplace at the back of the room.
  • A nurse sits and reads the paper. Some are sitting on the stage. Two of the soldiers are black and the rest are white.
  • Black and white picture of Mr Alfred Cooper, owner of The Gables, Chair of the tea merchants Messrs Ridgway Ltd, and Chairman and Proprietor of the Gardner Gun & Engineering Company
  • Black and white exterior shot of the Gables Hospital. There are steps up to the front door. There are two floors. There are pointed eaves over the top floor windows. Ivy covers building.
  • Ground floor plan. From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service.
  • First floor plan.From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service.
  • It has a blue door and a small clock tower.
  • Lords Roberts and others passing through are riding black horses.
  • Black and white photo. Mrs Cooper is sitting on a wooden chair wearing a black and white lace dress. She has a piece of paper in her hands.
  • A 6 pointed star set in a circle. The motto goes around the star in an outer circle.
  • Netball at Hillcroft College
  • It is a blue card folded with her name and a picture of a ladder in red. Paint pots are in a row along bottom with her initials on.
  • Theo is up a ladder looking up at camera with paintbrush in hand. Wearing hat and jacket.
  • Colour photo of Library main entrance. Green plants in foreground. Large sash windows on ground floor and a stone arch entrance.
  • Picture of the foundation stone inscribed with the date it was laid and who by.
  • two ladies dressed up in shawls by the donkey, which has cart full of apples attached to it.
  • Black and white image. The building is art deco style. There are some small flower beds hugging the hospital walls.
  • Black and white image. Wendy wears white with a flower in hair. Bouquet is white. Adults hold umbrellas in the rain. Duchess is wearing a hat with white flower, peal necklace and gloves.
  • Black and white photo. Art deco style. Tree in foreground building.
  • Black and white photo taken in the garden. Everyone is dressed up in costume. Including a wall and some medieval dresses.
  • Black and white photo taken in the garden. There are three women, one is a soldier, another a wall and the other is in white robes.
  • Black and white photo, with a truck in the foreground.
  • Men in masks conducting an operation, nurses with a skeleton, a nurse giving medicine to a child, and the official opening of the Outpatients.
  • A little girl prepares to be x rayed by a nurse.
  • Colour photograph of a metal plaque.
  • Black and white image. The are all wearing white starched hats.
  • Two rows of people. The mayor is on the front row. Two nurses back left. All ladies are wearing hats.
  • Brown front cover, smaller than A4 in size. Purple script.
  • Shows three moulds of teeth, each with more damaged teeth than the last. The last set has an overbite and wonky teeth.
  • Katie on the left is holding Ginger up for the camera. She has white hair in a bun and both her and Herta are smiling. Herta's dress has spots, Katie's is patterned and Ginger is ginger with stripes.
  • Two men pose next to cars. Top left, a small picture of a racing car from 1936.
  • Man is suite is stood smiling next to the racing car.
  • small racing car, open around the seat, looks a bit like a toy car.
  • Two flags cross each other. One has an eight pointed star and the other has an olive branch.
  • In colour. Four flags around a shield with the union jack on. Above a drum. Red border around the edges.
  • Surbiton Hospital's Resident Cat
  • Colour photo.
  • It says 3 Oakhill Newlands Nurses Home Project Department.
  • Lime Tree sign on left with tree on right. School's garden has wicker play huts in in.
  • Metal plaque on a wooden chair.
  • Modern building with top section painted white. Its name is in large letters on the side. There are small plants in the border, they are newly planted and will grow bigger.
  • Gold in colour. Shape reminiscent of leaves and flowers.
  • It is dark green and black. It has a small Chubb sign on each door.
  • The lights are arranged in a circle.
  • The door is set within a large wooden arch, with dark blue and green stained glass above the door.
  • It is a tall stone chimney. The inscription is carved in. There is a blue plaque above that says the building is of architectural importance.
  • Silver key. It says Chubb's patent on it.
  • There is a flower in each corner. This tile shows two ducks on a lake, a small island and a boat with a sail. Outlines are all in blue
  • The woman has blonde hair. Her top is yellow, waistband pink and there are yellow flowers on her skirt. Sun is shining through the glass.
  • Dark green wallpaper with gold leafy pattern
  • The sign is gold coloured and it has a coat of arms on it.
  • The phoenix is around the base of the toilet, and it has been painted with gold coloured paint.
  • The coloured glass is in red, blue and green
  • Three patterns in this selection. A windmill, a small tower and a boat. All blue outlines.
  • The Oakhill Timeline

Pages

Title Date Description
Origins of Surbiton 1747 Surbiton started off as small roadside settlement, and its name can probably be linked to Kingston and Kingston's Royal connections. View
Hill House 1812 There used to be a building called Hill House where Sessions House now stands on the corner of Ewell Road and Berrylands Road. View
Surbiton Hill House 1826 In 1826 William Walter bought 11 acres of land to the West of Ewell Road, building Surbiton Hill House on what was to be the future site of Surbiton Hospital. View
Queen of the Suburbs 1838 In the 1870s and 1880s estate agents were describing Surbiton as 'Queen of the Suburbs', reflecting its growing popularity as a place to live. View
Thomas Pooley lays Surbiton's Foundations 1839 Thomas Pooley planned the development of Surbiton following the railway coming to town. View
Surbiton Improvement Commissioners 1855 Local governance of Surbiton began in 1855 when the Surbiton Improvement Commissioners were established. View
Surbiton's First Hospitals 1870 A brief history about the first two hospitals in Surbiton that preceded Surbiton Hospital. View
Oaklands Baptist Church 1874 In 1874 the Oaklands Baptist Church on Langley Road was opened by the Baptist preacher Rev Charles Haddon Spurgeon, of the Metropolitan Tabernacle. View
The Gables 1877 The Gables on South Bank was built in 1877 for Wilberforce Bryant, of Bryant and May's Matches. View
Oak Hill Lodge 1880 In 1880 Oak Hill Lodge on Oakhill Grove was built for Arthur Bryant, a timber merchant and the brother of Wilberforce Bryant (of Bryant and May's Matches) who lived in The Gables. View
Entertainment at the Gables Hospital 1899 There was regular entertainment at the Gables Hospital, with music forming a central part - in particular the Arthur Sullivan music 'The Absent Minded Beggar'. View
Poem about the Gables Hospital 1899 By Maud Maddick (Mrs Arthur Doughty) Kingston Hill. This poem was in an undated newspaper cutting within the Gables Hospital Album held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
The Gables Hospital (aka The Princess of Wales Hospital for Wounded Soldiers, Surbiton) 1899 The Cooper family, owners of The Gables after the Bryants, turned their private theatre in to a hospital for soldiers injured in the Boer War October 1899 - May 1902. It was the only private military hospital in existence at the time. The hospital was twice visited by its patrons the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra). Alfred Cooper received a knighthood for his services to the wounded soldiers. View
Surbiton Infant Welfare Centre 1918 This was started by a group of volunteers in 1918 to help mothers and children in Surbiton who were in need. View
Hillcroft College - The Early Years 1920 Hillcroft College was founded in 1920 as a residential college for working women and was based at The Holt in Beckenham, Kent. The College had support from a number of notable people and education enthusiasts, including Thomas Wall (II), Oxford University, a Countess of Portsmouth and even Virginia Woolf. The College students adopted the motto ‘Through Rough Ways to the Stars’. View
Surbiton Library and Fire Station 1931 Both these public services had their foundation stones laid down on the same day - 2nd September 1931. View
Fundraising for Surbiton Hospital 1933 A range of activities were organised to raise funds for the new hospital in Surbiton from 1933 - 1936. View
Surbiton Hospital Foundation Stone Laying 1934 A ceremony for the laying of the 'Surbiton New Hospital' foundation stone was held on 17th Oct 1934, led by Lord and Lady Ashcombe (Lord Lieutenant of the County of Surrey). A time capsule was placed in the foundation stone that contained a copy of that day's souvenir programme, a copy of the 'Times' newspaper, copy of the local newspapers and coins of the day. View
Borough of Surbiton 1936 By 1936 Surbiton's population reaches 40,000 and it gains Borough status. The positives of becoming a Borough included the right to appoint a Mayor and enhanced prestige and civic spirit. King Edward VIII granted the Charter of Incorporation, turning Surbiton in to a Municipal Borough, and was one of the few granted during his short reign. View
Ewell Road 1936 By 1934 the Library and Fire Station had been built, testament to Surbiton's continued growth and the work of Surbiton Urban District Council. View
Surbiton Railway Station gets a Makeover 1937 Surbiton Station is completely rebuilt by Southern Railway. The building was designed by J Robb Scott in art deco style, and is now a Grade II listed building. View
Hillcroft College During the Second World War 1943 Between July 1943 and September 1945 Hillcroft College's chief work was the development of the Correspondence Courses (distance learning). These were open to anyone who wanted to take them. In 1942 the War Office took on four of the courses for men and women in the forces, with the art courses being the most popular. The War Office retained the scheme as a permanent fixture of post-war Army education. View
84 Ewell Road - Elm House 1945 Evidence suggests that in the mid-1940s Elm House was being used to accommodate the hospital’s Physiotherapy Department. View
Elmside (No 1 Oakhill) 1945 Elmside at 1 Oakhill was a large villa constructed between 1850 and 1855. Before it was demolished to provide space for the newly constructed, Lime Tree Primary School, it adjoined the main Surbiton Hospital grounds next to Newlands Nurses’ Home at 3 Oakhill. View
Donations to Surbiton Hospital March 1945 to July 1948 1945 A list of the donations to the Hospital recorded in the minutes of the meetings of the Governing Committee March 1945 – July 1948 View
Hillcroft College - Post War 1945 The College reopened in September 1945, and post-war Britain brought new challenges and opportunities for Hillcroft College. View
Introduction to Newlands' Nurses Home 1946 Newlands (No. 3 Oak Hill) is a large three storey, detached villa constructed about 1850-1855, and bought by Surbiton Hospital 1946. View
Newlands - Maternity Unity or Nurses' Home? 1946 There was lenghty discussion about whether Newlands should be developed as a self-contained maternity unit or should be used as Nurses’ accommodation. View
Conversion Work to Newlands in the Post War Era 1947 Conversion work to Newlands was a slow process, and the Surbiton Hospital Governing Committee faced a range of issues. View
Opening of the Outpatients' Department 1948 A new Outpatients Department was opened at Surbiton Hospital on Saturday 6 March 1948. View
Dogs in the X Ray Department 1949 The creation of the National Health Service (NHS) on 5 July 1948 brought many changes to Surbiton Hospital. One of the more unusual changes concerned dogs in the X-Ray department. View
‘Special Recipes’ from ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ Book 1950 Have a look at some of the drink recipes that used to be suggested for the good health of mothers and children. View
'The Health of Mother and Child' Book 1950 A copy of the book ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ was handed out to expectant mothers at South Place Clinic, Surbiton, in the 1950s. View
The Wood and The Richard Jefferies Bird Sanctuary 1951 The Wood is a beautiful public park to the West of Oakhill, Surbiton.. The Bird Sanctuary is named after the respected writer and naturalist Richard Jefferies, who lived in Surbiton 1877 - 1881. View
Cooper Cars at Langley Road 1957 During the 1950s and 1960s the Cooper Car Company enjoyed success in motor racing and had a site in Langley Road for the 'works Formula One team'. View
Christmas at Surbiton Hospital 1996 Sheila Lennon was a Healthcare Assistant at Surbiton Hospital from 1996 until their ward closed in 2005. Here are her memories of Christmas Day at the hospital. View
Surbiton Health Centre and Lime Tree Primary School 2013 In 2011 Surbiton Hospital was closed and demolished. The site was redeveloped and Surbiton Health Centre and Lime Tree Primary School were built on it. Along the path on the site you will find the Oakhill history timeline. View
Principals of Hillcroft College 2013 To date Hillcroft has had seven Principals View

Oral Histories

A range of people have been recorded for the Oakhill Community Heritage Project. Their memories are about their lives, events and places that relate to Oakhill. Click on a name below in order to listen to a selection of extracts from that person’s recording.

Title Date Description
Pat talks about her life as a radar operator during the Second World War and as a tortoise breeder in Oakhill. 2013 Interview with Pat Evans. Who talks about Tyneham ghost village and the different types of radar used during the Second World War. As well as Oakhill and her passion for breeding tortoises. Recorded by Laura Brown 19th June 2013. MP3 File. View
Mella Trotter's baby clinic memories 2013 Interview with Mella Trotter, who is a Surbiton resident and has done a lot of volunteering work, including for the Surbiton Baby Clinic and Red Cross. Recorded by Chris Stockbridge 24 June 2013. MP3 File. View
Barbara Hosking's memories of being a Hillcroft student and the path it opened up for her 2013 Interview with Barbara Hosking, who was a student at Hillcroft College from 1951-1952. Recording by Laura Brown 26 June 2013. MP3 File. View
Nancy Vlasto's Memories of Oakhill and her time in Canada 2013 Interview with Nancy Vlasto. Who talks about her time in Oakhill and compares it to her life in inner-city London and also describes her time in Canada. Recorded by Glenis Ward 13th July. MP3 File. View
Michael Wheeler discusses his time at Hillcroft as its first male Principal 2013 Interview with Michael Wheeler. Discussing Hillcroft college and what it was like to be the first male Principal in the college's history. Recorded by Glenis Ward 11th July 2013. MP3 File. View
Pat Stoneham's Memories of Surbiton Hospital 2013 Interview with Pat Stoneham, who was a Modern Matron at Surbiton Hospital. Recording by Glenis Ward 16 July 2013. MP3 File. View
Gillian Coppack's memories of Woodlands Junior School 2013 Interview with Gillian Coppack, who has lived in Surbiton all her life and went to Woodlands Junior School in 1950. Recorded by Laura Brown on 29 July 2013. MP3 File. View
Mavis Cheek's Recollections of Hillcroft College 2013 Interview with Mavis Cheek, a student at Hillcroft College from 1976 to 1978. Recorded by Chris Stockbridge 31 July 2013. MP3 File. View
Audrey Giles, Surbiton Resident 2013 Recording of Audrey Giles and her memories of Oakhill. Recorded by Chris Stockbridge 15 August 2013. MP3 File. View
Mary McNulty's memories of being a Hillcroft Tutor 2013 Interview with Mary McNulty, Hillcroft College tutor 1961 - 1965. Interviewed by Chris Stockbridge 19 August 2013. MP3 File. View