Origins of Surbiton

1747
There is a record of Surbiton as far back as 1179, within Merton Priory documents. By 1747 - 1769 Surbiton can be seen on maps as a small linear roadside settlement, on what is now the Surbiton road. The name Surbiton possibly derives from the Anglo-Saxon ‘bere’ meaning barley, and ‘tun’ meaning an enclosure or settlement. Barley at this time was very important to towns, as it provided bread and ale (and ale was safer to drink than water). Kings were crowned at Kingston and it was a popular destination for the Court. So Kingston may have been important enough to have two barley farms, the north farm 'Norbiton' and the South farm 'Surbiton'. However there is no reference to Surbiton in the Doomsday Book and the earliest references from the Merton Priory spell Surbiton as either Suberton or Subertona. 

Tags

Surbiton

Related Items

Images

Surbiton in 1747
Hand drawn map of Surbiton in 1747. There is lots of detail, of fields, flora and roads. The Thames is drawn on the left side of the map.
Hill House
Black and white picture. A large white building with a veranda.
Surbiton Hill House Bricks
Six bricks ll with damage, and much wear and tear from the time. The inscriptions have been carved in to the bricks.
1839 Tithe Map
Line drawing of a map. This map does not give a lot of detail. Plots of land are numbered.
Hillcroft College
It is a large Victorian building, with large bay windows, tall chimneys and three floors.

Documents