Surbiton Hill House Bricks

1826
Six bricks ll with damage, and much wear and tear from the time. The inscriptions have been carved in to the bricks.
These paving bricks are from the grounds of Surbiton Hill House. The undersides of two of the bricks are stamped with commemorative inscriptions. 'Diamond Jubilee', made to commemorate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897 and the second with the partial inscription 'Edward VII Coronation June 1902'. Both are unusual as it is rare to find well dated bricks. Photograph from Oxford Archaeology.

Related Items

Images

Surbiton in 1747
Hand drawn map of Surbiton in 1747. There is lots of detail, of fields, flora and roads. The Thames is drawn on the left side of the map.
Hill House
Black and white picture. A large white building with a veranda.
1839 Tithe Map
Line drawing of a map. This map does not give a lot of detail. Plots of land are numbered.
Hillcroft College
It is a large Victorian building, with large bay windows, tall chimneys and three floors.
Richard Jefferies
It has the likeness of Jefferies on it carved out of wood, the plaque is framed by a nature scene - trees, rabbits, birds and squirrels.

Documents