Community Health Care

Items that relate to community health care in the Oakhill area

Recently added images

  • Colour photograph of a metal plaque.
  • Men in masks conducting an operation, nurses with a skeleton, a nurse giving medicine to a child, and the official opening of the Outpatients.

Related Items

TitleDateDescription
1839 Tithe Map 1839 This map shows the Oakhill area of Surbiton. In the plot of land numbered 1042 you can see Surbiton Hill House. This is also the spot where Surbiton Hospital was to be built in 1934. Running down the centre of the map is Ewell Road. The section running horizontally across the top of the map shows the land marked for the railway. View
Surbiton Improvement Commissioners 1855 Local governance of Surbiton began in 1855 when the Surbiton Improvement Commissioners were established. View
Surbiton's First Hospitals 1870 A brief history about the first two hospitals in Surbiton that preceded Surbiton Hospital. View
The Absent Minded Beggar 1899 Alfred Cooper paid 500 guineas at auction for the manuscript of a piece of music by Sir Arthur Sullivan called The Absent Minded Beggar. The manuscript had been sold at auction to support a Daily Mail appeal to raise money for troops fighting in the Boer War and their families. Sir Arthur Sullivan wrote to Alfred Cooper afterwards thanking him for his munificence. The letter can be viewed on this website. View
Poem about the Gables Hospital 1899 By Maud Maddick (Mrs Arthur Doughty) Kingston Hill. This poem was in an undated newspaper cutting within the Gables Hospital Album held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
Patients, Nurses and the Coopers 1899 Patients, Nurses and the Cooper family at the Gables Hospital. Do you know why the soldiers have different hats? This photo is on our Flickr page - if you have any extra information you can leave a comment there http://www.flickr.com/photos/oakhillheritage/. From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
Patients, Nurses and The Coopers 1899 Patients of the Gables Hospital and the Cooper family. Can you spot one of the Cooper children? It appears that many of the soldiers had injuries to their legs, as a lot of them have crutches. Clipping from the Surrey Comet. From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
The Gables Hospital (aka The Princess of Wales Hospital for Wounded Soldiers, Surbiton) 1899 The Cooper family, owners of The Gables after the Bryants, turned their private theatre in to a hospital for soldiers injured in the Boer War October 1899 - May 1902. It was the only private military hospital in existence at the time. The hospital was twice visited by its patrons the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra). Alfred Cooper received a knighthood for his services to the wounded soldiers. View
The Gables Souvenir Medallion (Obverse) 1900 A bust of the Princess of Wales, with her hospital ship off the South African coast and ‘Transvaal War 1899-1900’ in the fields to left and right, with the circumscription, ‘Souvenir of the Princess of Wales’ Private Military Hospital. The Gables, Surbiton’. View
Patients and Nurses of The Gables Hospital 1900 Patients and Nurses on the steps of The Gables Hospital. The Cooper boys, Reginald and Frederick, are sitting on the steps. From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
The Gables Hospital Interior Shot taken from the Stage 1900 This picture shows the patients in the Gables Hospital hall (Ward 1). Maybe the ones sitting around the table are playing cards. The photo is from the Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
The Gables Hospital Interior Stage Shot 1900 This picture shows the patients in the Gables Hospital hall and on the stage (Ward 1 and Ward 2 respectively). The photo is from the Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. Things to think about - what does the picture tell you about the composition of the army at the time? Why do you think Mr Cooper had to set up this hospital for wounded soldiers? View
The Gables Hospital 1900 Exterior shot of the Gables Hospital (originally built for use as a theatre), from The Lady 12th April 1900. The photo is from the Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
The Gables Hospital 1900 Ground floor plan. From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
The Gables Hospital 1900 First floor plan. From The Gables Hospital Album, Ref KX172, 1899 -1901, held by Kingston Museum and Heritage Service. View
Surbiton Infant Welfare Centre 1918 This was started by a group of volunteers in 1918 to help mothers and children in Surbiton who were in need. View
Fundraising for Surbiton Hospital 1933 A range of activities were organised to raise funds for the new hospital in Surbiton from 1933 - 1936. View
Surbiton Hospital Foundation Stone Laying 1934 A ceremony for the laying of the 'Surbiton New Hospital' foundation stone was held on 17th Oct 1934, led by Lord and Lady Ashcombe (Lord Lieutenant of the County of Surrey). A time capsule was placed in the foundation stone that contained a copy of that day's souvenir programme, a copy of the 'Times' newspaper, copy of the local newspapers and coins of the day. View
Fundraising for Surbiton Hospital - The Carnival Bazaar 1934 Alfred E. Bestall, the well-known illustrator of Rupert Bear, created this cardboard donkey for the Carnival Bazaar that was held to raise money for the opening of Surbiton Hospital. Picture from the Surrey Comet 1 December 1934. View
Surbiton Hospital Just Before it Opens 1936 Picture from the Surrey Comet 25th July 1936. It says underneath the picture 'READY FOR FORMAL OPENING by the Duchess of Gloucester on Tuesday. Surbiton Hospital from the nurses' home.' You can see the chimneys of Hillcroft College in the background. View
Opening of Surbiton Hospital 1936 Surbiton Hospital was opened by the Duchess of Gloucester on 28th July 1936. Picture from the Surrey Comet 1st August 1936. It says 'HER COURTESY In the rain Wendy Betts, granddaughter of Mr Herbert J Hill, presents a bouquet'. View
Panorama of Surbiton Hospital 1936 A lovely photograph of Surbiton Hospital in 1936. From Architect and Building News 14 August 1936. View
84 Ewell Road - Elm House 1945 Evidence suggests that in the mid-1940s Elm House was being used to accommodate the hospital’s Physiotherapy Department. View
Elmside (No 1 Oakhill) 1945 Elmside at 1 Oakhill was a large villa constructed between 1850 and 1855. Before it was demolished to provide space for the newly constructed, Lime Tree Primary School, it adjoined the main Surbiton Hospital grounds next to Newlands Nurses’ Home at 3 Oakhill. View
Donations to Surbiton Hospital March 1945 to July 1948 1945 A list of the donations to the Hospital recorded in the minutes of the meetings of the Governing Committee March 1945 – July 1948 View
Newlands - Maternity Unity or Nurses' Home? 1946 There was lenghty discussion about whether Newlands should be developed as a self-contained maternity unit or should be used as Nurses’ accommodation. View
Introduction to Newlands' Nurses Home 1946 Newlands (No. 3 Oak Hill) is a large three storey, detached villa constructed about 1850-1855, and bought by Surbiton Hospital 1946. View
Conversion Work to Newlands in the Post War Era 1947 Conversion work to Newlands was a slow process, and the Surbiton Hospital Governing Committee faced a range of issues. View
Opening of the Outpatients' Department 1948 A new Outpatients Department was opened at Surbiton Hospital on Saturday 6 March 1948. View
The Lamp Still Burns 1948 Following the opening of the Outpatients Department The Surrey Comet, on Wednesday 10 March 1948, carried a full page of pictures of various activities taking place at Surbiton Hospital under the heading “The Lamp Still Burns”. View
Surbiton Hospital X Ray Department 1949 Surbiton Hospital X Ray Department. From the Surrey Comet Wednesday 10 March 1948. View
Outpatients Department Plaque 1949 Outpatients department plaque dedicated to the those who died in the Second World War. It reads 'This out-patients department was presented by the residents of the borough of Surbiton in honoured memory of those who sacrificed their lives in in the cause of freedom. They died that we might live.' Photograph by OCHP. View
Dogs in the X Ray Department 1949 The creation of the National Health Service (NHS) on 5 July 1948 brought many changes to Surbiton Hospital. One of the more unusual changes concerned dogs in the X-Ray department. View
Newlands Nurses Home Opens 1949 Nurses in their new home. It was formally opened on 27th August 1949. The women in the picture are Nurses Fredericks, Monaghan, Spence and Osborne. Nurses are sitting on chairs around small coffee table, knitting and reading books. Surrey Comet Sat 27 August 1949. View
Opening of Newlands Nurses' Home 1949 It was formally opened on 27 August 1949. Photograph from the Surrey Comet 3 September 1949. View
'The Health of Mother and Child' Book 1950 A copy of the book ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ was handed out to expectant mothers at South Place Clinic, Surbiton, in the 1950s. View
‘Special Recipes’ from ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ Book 1950 Have a look at some of the drink recipes that used to be suggested for the good health of mothers and children. View
'The Health of Mother and Child' Book 1950 A copy of the book ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ was handed out to expectant mothers at South Place Clinic, Surbiton, in the 1950s. The book was a joint piece of work between the Department of Health for Scotland, the Corporation of the City of Glasgow, and the Glasgow Maternity and Child Welfare Department. View
'A dummy should never be given' 1950 The above illustrations show how a dummy teat can deform a growing jaw. The photograph on the left shows a well developed jaw of a young child. The centre photograph shows a child's jaw deformed by dummy sucking or thumb sucking. The photograph on the right shows how such a deformity persists into adult life. Taken from the 'Health of Mother and Child'. Image by OCHP. View
Christmas at Surbiton Hospital 1996 Sheila Lennon was a Healthcare Assistant at Surbiton Hospital from 1996 until their ward closed in 2005. Here are her memories of Christmas Day at the hospital. View
Surbiton Hospital's Resident Cat 1997 A cat called Preston was resident at Surbiton Hospital in the 1990s, coming and going as he pleased. Many of the patients and staff loved to have him around. Here he is on Christmas Day at the hospital, surrounded by presents that people had given him. Christmas Day at Surbiton Hospital has been described as a family day by past staff - the patients' families would come in, there would be decorations, presents would be shared, and there would be AmDram entertainment - old photographs show that people would come in to entertain the patients dressed as Santa and ball gowns. Photograph by OCHP. View
Newlands Nurses Home 2013 This sign is on the pillar outside of No. 3 Oakhill. Taken by the Oakhill Community Heritage Project. View
Nancy Vlasto's Memories of Oakhill and her time in Canada 2013 Interview with Nancy Vlasto. Who talks about her time in Oakhill and compares it to her life in inner-city London and also describes her time in Canada. Recorded by Glenis Ward 13th July. MP3 File. View
Pat Stoneham's Memories of Surbiton Hospital 2013 Interview with Pat Stoneham, who was a Modern Matron at Surbiton Hospital. Recording by Glenis Ward 16 July 2013. MP3 File. View
Surbiton Health Centre 2013 Photograph by Chris Stockbridge. Date: 06/08/2013. Format: Digital View
Lime Tree Primary School 2013 Lime Tree Primary School was built on the redeveloped Surbiton Hospital site. Picture taken from the top of Oakhill Path. Photograph by Chris Stockbridge. Date: 06/08/2013. Format: Digital. View
Baby Clinic Plaque 2013 This plaque was attached to a bench outside of Oakhill Health Centre. It is being moved to a bench on the new Surbiton Health Centre site. The plaque reads 'In affectionate memory of Agatha H Sanger and other Helpers who have given many hours of work for the babies of Surbiton'. Agatha Sanger was one of the women who set up the Surbiton Infant Welfare Centre in 1918. Photograph by Chris Stockbridge. View
Audrey Giles, Surbiton Resident 2013 Recording of Audrey Giles and her memories of Oakhill. Recorded by Chris Stockbridge 15 August 2013. MP3 File. View