The Baby Clinics

The Baby Clinics, official name the Voluntary Committee of Surbiton Infant Welfare Centre, was established in 1918. The clinics and its volunteers provided help to mothers and children who were in need. The volunteers were kept on after the NHS was created in 1948, but eventually disbanded in 2005.

Recently added images

  • Brown front cover, smaller than A4 in size. Purple script.
  • Shows three moulds of teeth, each with more damaged teeth than the last. The last set has an overbite and wonky teeth.
  • Metal plaque on a wooden chair.

Related Items

TitleDateDescription
Surbiton Infant Welfare Centre 1918 This was started by a group of volunteers in 1918 to help mothers and children in Surbiton who were in need. View
'The Health of Mother and Child' Book 1950 A copy of the book ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ was handed out to expectant mothers at South Place Clinic, Surbiton, in the 1950s. View
‘Special Recipes’ from ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ Book 1950 Have a look at some of the drink recipes that used to be suggested for the good health of mothers and children. View
'A dummy should never be given' 1950 The above illustrations show how a dummy teat can deform a growing jaw. The photograph on the left shows a well developed jaw of a young child. The centre photograph shows a child's jaw deformed by dummy sucking or thumb sucking. The photograph on the right shows how such a deformity persists into adult life. Taken from the 'Health of Mother and Child'. Image by OCHP. View
'The Health of Mother and Child' Book 1950 A copy of the book ‘The Health of Mother and Child’ was handed out to expectant mothers at South Place Clinic, Surbiton, in the 1950s. The book was a joint piece of work between the Department of Health for Scotland, the Corporation of the City of Glasgow, and the Glasgow Maternity and Child Welfare Department. View
Mella Trotter's baby clinic memories 2013 Interview with Mella Trotter, who is a Surbiton resident and has done a lot of volunteering work, including for the Surbiton Baby Clinic and Red Cross. Recorded by Chris Stockbridge 24 June 2013. MP3 File. View
Baby Clinic Plaque 2013 This plaque was attached to a bench outside of Oakhill Health Centre. It is being moved to a bench on the new Surbiton Health Centre site. The plaque reads 'In affectionate memory of Agatha H Sanger and other Helpers who have given many hours of work for the babies of Surbiton'. Agatha Sanger was one of the women who set up the Surbiton Infant Welfare Centre in 1918. Photograph by Chris Stockbridge. View